Best Fruit Spreads, Jam and Nut Topping For Brie
I swear other than the bubbly, the next best thing at a holiday party is that delicious beautiful ooey gooey baked brie bejeweled with fruit preserves and nuts all dressed up in its puff pastry. With warm slices of french bread scattered round it's base, it is an appetizer that just wants to be devoured by most guests.
You can top a baked brie with a variety of jams and spreads ranging in flavors from sweet and fruity to savory and piquant. Typically people prefer a sweet fruitier topping for brie and will often mix a jam with toasted nuts or herbs to spoon over top but a savory pairing such as our Triple Ale Onion Spread which is a caramelized onion jam made with 3 craft beers is a wonderful savory alternative for pairing, so both options - sweet or savory will work well and can stand up to the earthy creamy mushroomy taste of brie.
Remember too that brie doesn't only have to be served in a puff pastry (commonly referred to as brie en croute), you can forgo the pastry and simply bake it in the oven for 10 minutes and then dress it up with your preferred topping (jam, savory preserves, honey, fruit, nuts, sun dried tomatoes, pesto, etc.) You can also use brie in a number of different appetizers from mini tarts to small puff pastries, mini quiches, paninis and flatbreads. All of our savory spreads and jam compotes listed below will work with a variety of soft ripened bloomy rind style cheeses from Brie to Camembert to Coulommiers (which is a cousin to brie) and make a beautiful addition to any cheese plate.
Our Favorite Spreads, Jams and Nut Toppings For Brie Include:
1. Baked Brie with Sour Cherry Spiced Wine Fruit Compote with Thyme and Pecans
Our Sour Cherry Spiced Wine Fruit Compote is made with whole tart cherries sourced from upstate NY with warm winter spices and cracked black pepper. Its sweet yet savory and when mixed with toasted pecans and fresh thyme is just amazing with a baked brie. Not only is it a classic pairing - brie cheese and sour cherry but for a holiday gathering, its just gorgeous on the table.
2. Baked Brie En Croute with Wozz! Triple Ale Onion Savory Spread and Crispy Bacon
A savory option which we love, our NYC Fancy Food Show Award Winning Triple Ale Onion Savory Spread mixed with bacon and served atop a brie baked in puff pastry. The caramelized onion jam spread is a perfect pairing for the buttery mushroomy brie and makes a wonderful fall or winter appetizer.
3. Balsamic Fig Mostarda Spread and Brie Pairings
Our Balsamic Fig Mostarda Spread is a combination of sweet figs slowly simmered in a red wine reduction sauce with balsamic and a finishing touch of mustard oil spice. It's our signature cheese pairing condiment and the winner of the NYC Fancy Food Show sofi award for best condiment. This fig spread is an amazing accompaniment to brie and we've used it many times in recipes. Here are a few of our favorite brie and balsamic fig mostarda spread pairings:
- Summer Cheese Board: Pair Wozz! Balsamic Fig Mostarda Spread with a wheel of soft ripened coulommiers cheese (coulommiers is similar to brie cheese like camembert), fresh fruits, croissants, ham and honey for a cheese board well suited for a summer picnic.
- Balsamic Fig and Brie Mini Tarts - One of the easiest ways to entertain is with mini tarts! You will find them in the frozen puff pastry section of the grocery store and you simply fill them with your favorite cheese, herb and nut mixture, bake for 10 minutes and voila. These mini tarts are filled with slices of brie cheese and topped with Wozz! Balsamic Fig Mostarda Spread and fresh thyme.
- Summer Grilled Peach Pizza with Brie, Bacon and Basil - You don't have to wait until the holidays to bring out the brie, it's delicious when paired with summer fruits such as strawberries and peaches and is delicious on this summer grilled peach flatbread with Wozz! Balsamic Fig Spread, bacon and fresh torn basil.
4. Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney Paired with Brie Cheese
Wozz! Cranberry Orange and Cognac Chutney is a traditional cranberry chutney with an orange inspired twist! New England Cranberries are simmered in aromatic spices including cinnamon and allspice with hand candied oranges and a touch of cognac liquor. A classic holiday pairing for camembert or brie cheese, especially brie en croute and perfect when spooned over those leftover holiday chicken and turkey sandwiches! Below we paired our Cranberry Orange Cognac Chutney with pecans and pistachios and served over a warm camembert cheese with crackers.
5. Baked Brie Paired with Wozz! Wild Blueberry Maple Walnut Fruit Compote (with balsamic and rosemary).
This recipe is a home run. It turned out sooo good. For this baked brie appetizer we combined Wozz! Wild Blueberry Maple Walnut Fruit Compote which is made using wild Maine blueberries, pure maple syrup, toasted walnuts, fresh rosemary and balsamic vinegar with some additional fresh rosemary and toasted walnuts and simply spoon it over the brie after it was baked.
So there you have it, our best handcrafted jams, compotes, condiments and savory spreads with nut toppings for brie cheese. For a quick recap of favorite toppings:
Baked Brie + Wozz! Wild Blueberry Maple Compote + Fresh Rosemary + Toasted Walnuts
Baked Brie + Wozz! Sour Cherry Spiced Wine Fruit Compote + Fresh Thyme + Toasted Pecans
Baked Brie + Wozz! Balsamic Fig Mostarda Spread
Baked Brie + Wozz! Cranberry Orange Chutney + Pistachios + Pecans
Baked Brie En Croute + Wozz! Triple Ale Caramelized Onion Spread + Bacon + Fresh Rosemary
Serve warm with toasted sliced french baguette or crackers.
Get The Set - Wozz! Best Spreads and Jams For Brie CheeseTrio
If you are looking for a gift for the cheese lover or for the hostess that loves to entertain, you may like:
Wozz! Cheese Pairing Gourmet Spreads Gift Set - A Set of 6 Condiments, Jams and Savory Spreads Designed For Perfect Cheese Pairings